Dr. Saut Sagala is an assistant professor at School of Architecture, Planning and Policy Development, Institute of Technology Bandung (ITB), Bandung, Indonesia. Saut has conducted intensive research and consultancy experiences on spatial planning, disaster risk management and climate change adaptation while also works as an Editorial Board Member of ASEAN Engineering Journal. He also is an advisory board for Journal of Forum Geografi. Previously he assumed a position as a managing editor of Journal of Regional and City Planning of ITB (2010-2012). He also serves as a Senior Research Fellow at Resilience Development Initiative (resilience research community) and an adviser for Bandung Disaster Study Group, empowering university students to conduct disaster education for children and youth in West Java. Most recently, Saut has been selected as a PARR (Pan Asia Risk Reduction) Fellow (July 2014 – Jan 2015) by START Washington.
- PhD (2009) from Department of Urban Management, Kyoto University (Japan),
- MSc (2006) from Urban Planning and Management, ITC Twente University (The Netherlands),
- BSc (2001) from Department of Regional and City Planning, Institute of Technology Bandung (Indonesia).
Advanced Courses / Summer Institutes / Workshop:
- Disaster Risk Management of Cultural Heritage in Ritsumeikan University Kyoto, Japan (2014)
- Pan Asia Risk Reduction Fellow (2014), Manila, Philippines (2014)
- Renewable Energy and Climate Change Mitigation in University of Twente, The Netherlands (2014)
- Micro Insurance, Munich-Re Foundation, Jakarta (2013)
- Disaster Recovery and Humanitarian Assistance in Honolulu, University of Hawaii at Manoa, United States (2013)
- Disaster Governance in National University of Singapore, Singapore (2012)
- Climate Change Adaptation, Risk Management, Beijing Normal University, (China 2010 & 2012)
- Social Vulnerability and Megacities: UNU-EHS & Munich Re, Munich, Germany (2007)
- Disaster Risk Management, ITC-U.Twente (2005).
Saut has published a number of articles in international and national journal papers, among other: Journal of Integrated Disaster Risk Management (IDRiM Journal), Environmental Hazards, Disaster Recovery in Springers, Journal of Pacific Rim Psychology, Jurnal Bumi Lestari, Jurnal Forum Geografi, Jurnal Tataloka, Jurnal Penataan Ruang, Jurnal Mimbar Sosial, and constant contributors for LIPI Book Chapters on Disaster & Environmental Management (2011-2013). Saut has been a reviewer for many international and national journals, namely: Disaster Prevention and Management, Journal of Disaster Research, International Journal of Mass Emergencies and Disaster, International Journal of Disaster Risk Science, Journal of Regional and City Planning, Journal of Tata Loka, Journal of Forum Geografi.
Saut has presented and attended conferences in Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Korea, Japan, China, Hongkong, Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, US.